Sunday, August 20, 2006

Silmarillion movie?

Please read the post before voting.

Which tale should be turned into a movie?
The Hobbit (serious version)
The Hobbit
Turin
Lay of Leithian
Maeglor and the fall of Gondolin
Feabor and the exodus of the elves
Free polls from Pollhost.com


Should there be a Silmarillion film? No.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a big LOR fan, but I do not want to
see the Silmarillion squeezed into one, two, even ten movies.
It's just too vast.

However, what would be cool is if the take certain stories from
The Silmarillion, Unfinished Tales, and other books and expand
those stories. There are at least five individual tales I can think of:

*Feanor and the exodus
*Narn I Hin Hurin, or just...
*The Turin part
*The Lay of Leithian (NOT A MUSICAL VERSION!!!)
*Maeglin and the fall of Gondolin

Some of these are very well developed, others are mere sketches
that need expanding.

The best of these and other options are probably Turin and
The Lay of Leithian. These stories are the most developed, although
Turin has a rather depressing storyline.

Another likely movie Jackson may make is The Hobbit. However,
there are several things I hope get done.

Make it serious! Tolkien later regretted the juvenile tone of the
story. There is a lot of material in the index of LOR that can be used
in replacement of the goofy stuff.

For example:

*Begin with information about the Necromancer (Sauron) and his
fortress Dol Guldor.

*Show a brief overview of the War of Extermination between the
dwarves and orcs.

*Include the meeting between Gandalf and Thorin at the
Prancing Pony. Detail their seperate reasons for killing Smaug.

*Have the last White Council, with Saruman, and the politics of the
situation (i.e. Saruman's stalling tactics).

*Include Gandalf's infiltration of Dol Guldor.

*NO goofy, unrealistic elf songs Tolkien later hated.

*Finally, NO "seven-dwarves" style dwarves.

I will never forgive "them" if they make The Hobbit an absurd,
G-rated movie.

Anyway, I'll try to get a poll up and so you can vote.

Also, don't forget to comment if you have something to say.

2 Comments:

Blogger Reel Fanatic said...

Like you, I would love to see a "serious" Hobbit movie ... I have to admit that I loved that silly musical version when I was a kid, and i"ve been waiting ever since for a real version that does the story justice

Mon Aug 21, 02:57:00 AM  
Blogger Kolek said...

Thanks for the comment, Reel.
I hope you continue to read and
enjoy the blog. If you like Tolkiens
works and video games, check out
Koodooziez and my site
"The Lord of the Rings Concept Game".
It's in the links.

Wed Aug 23, 07:41:00 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home